Thursday 24 January 2019

The legend of a photogenic Egg

It's said that Social Media is a world of'likes’ and'dislikes’. But in this world, these words are in their sillier avatar. But that is expected to happen when people can socialize only by ‘liking’ or 'disliking’. Nowadays 'likes’ have taken the form of 'love’ which is denoted by a red heart. Whereas 'dislike’ has taken an ugly turn in the form of 'troll’. But today we will concentrate on'likes’ since recently it was in the news. A puny brown egg; yes brown, for the racially sensitive, managed to dethrone the current queen of social media, on one of the social apps. Now, anyone would wonder how can people like a photo of a humble egg, that too in such large numbers. After all, it is meant for creating a life or feeding someone. Why would anyone give it so much importance? This Eggegend; that's my word for the egg legend, it gave me sleepless nights. And a depleted breakfast, as I couldn't bring myself to cannibalize a legend in the making, or rather a legend already made. So my research started and where did I roam on the big, bad Earth for doing this research? Nothing like what you would imagine. I spread myself on my sofa after eating an eggless cake, which served two purposes. One, I was eating an vegetarian snack and second, I was respecting a legend. While I lazed on the sofa, my mind was concentrated on the search engines which chugged across the pad screen. And lo and behold! There was this story of an Indian teenager who was the mastermind of this whole saga. And this was a proud moment for patriotic me. This is his story - He clicked an enticing photo of the brown egg, which did all the hard work of posturing before a DSLR camera. The teenager too, did not leave any egg...er... stone unturned, to capture the historic moment on camera. With just the right lighting and innumerable captures. Finally he was ready to challenge the reigning queen. The next step was to share his invaluable capture on the same photo sharing app, the fiefdom of the Queen. And then the masterstroke! Appeal to the empathetic feelings of the people; their propensity to support the underdog. So the photograph was captioned, 'Let's make the Egg the most liked on this app and challenge the reigning Queen!’. And the public did the rest. And the rest is history. Today this photograph is the most liked after dethroning the Queen and still counting the likes. All hail the Eggegend! Yatindra Tawde

No comments:

Mumbai - 2025

Mumbai - 2025 I am wandering through the lanes of my place of birth, Dadar, getting nostalgic about the days gone by. Hindu colony and my ...